Joey Vaillancourt Fitness
From Joey

The X-Factors of Musculature and Size

April 28, 2011 by Joey Vaillancourt · 30 Comments

For sometime before I really knew about muscle building, I was always concerned with my weight. Often time’s people measure a person’s muscularity by weight alone.

Hey, how much do you weigh”?

If I had a pound of muscle for every time someone asked me that, I would be the most muscular guy on the planet (which wouldn’t be a bad thing either).

This question gets asked so many times by novice bodybuilders and so called fitness athletes and it drives me insane…or at least it used to. I grew to tolerate it more since realizing that most people who asked the question were just misinformed or lacked knowledge on the topic.

Weight alone is NOT the best factor in defining muscularity in a man or woman and in this article I will explain several reasons why that is and the biggest determinants in what X-factors influence a person’s perception of someone’s muscularity.

Why ‘weight’ alone is not the best indicator of muscularity

I remember having a conversation with someone about building muscle once and I remember him asking why even though he weighed more than me (by about 20lbs), I still looked bigger than him?!

This was a prime example what I mentioned above. People can be deceived by judging someone on weight alone because they are not considering body composition which is the true indicator of a person’s muscular status.

If you line up two people side by side; 1 person was 200lbs 20% bodyfat and one was 185lbs 10% bodyfat, who would appear more muscular? The 200lb guy? Nope! You would be wrong because even though the 185lb guy is lighter, he has more muscle mass on him and lower body fat which can also effect the perception of musculature (which I will touch on in the next section).

But for now, here is the math on this one:

200lbs & 20% fat = 160lbs of lean mass and 40lbs of fat mass
185lbs & 10% fat = 166.5lbs of lean mass and 18.5lbs of fat mass

Composition will always triumph weight alone.

cb-header

Bodyfat – The deceitful fatty tissue

One concept people don’t always grasp is the role bodyfat levels play in the muscular appearance. Sure people know bodyfat is not a good thing, but did you know just how much it can affect your appearance? The answer is astronomically!

Take for example; when I bulked up to 220lbs I ended up at about 23% bodyfat…not cool! I put on a lot of muscle since I started at about 19% bodyfat, but it didn’t show at all.

It was only when I dropped the fat that I started to appear like I actually worked out!

Take this as a lesson; piling on a bunch of weight is not a good thing. The more bodyfat you have the less definition you have and definition is the most important aspect in looking your most muscular.

Even at times, after dieting down, I often get compliments about my physique and people will even start asking me if I have been working out more because I look more muscular. Keyword “look”; sometimes after dieting I might have lost about 5lbs of muscle, but yet I appear much bigger.

Finding the right balance: where do you look your best?

Everyone is different as I am sure you learned as early as you can remember, but let me clearly articulate some of the big differences between us to help you better understand at what composition you will look your best.

-          Bone structure

-          Genetics

-          Height

-          Fat cells already created

Those are some of the biggest differences in people and they determine the majority of a person’s composition without a person doing anything at all. Unfair for some and very advantageous for others.

The key is to do the best with what god gave you.

You cannot change those factors listed above but you can work upon them.

Generally what you want to do is find another individual who has similarities in those above aspects but have already transformed their bodies. This is the best way of going about things because if you do not have very wide shoulders, you should not try to match a person’s physique that does possess wide shoulders.

Also, learn to use the mirror to gauge your ‘best look’. If another person is 180lbs and you really want to look like them, figure out their composition first.

Are they taller than you? If yes, you probably won’t need to go to 180lbs. typically, the taller person is the more muscle they need to look big. The shorter, the less they need.

What is their composition? Bodyfat? Weight? Figure that out and start working it out based on your height as well. Again if you are shorter, figure it out for your stats.

What is the look you want? Do you want to be ripped up? Do you want to just be filled out with slight definition?

All of these questions will help guide you to develop the look you want instead of basing it on other’s opinions.  After all, everyone has a different opinion of what big and muscular really is.

I like to be at about 180lbs 10% bodyfat…that is where I find I look my best. Some people might say to put on more muscle, and even though I am working at that, I do not really care if I do or not because I found the ‘sweet spot’ for my body composition.

The bottom line is to just forget weight! Learn the finer points I shared with you in this article and  you will start to discover the answers to revealing your best body yet.

Comments

30 Responses to “The X-Factors of Musculature and Size”
  1. Doug Doug says:

I am speaking my mind: Thank you for sharing such a great web site. It is very motivational. Joey, I can relate with all that you share, especially about forgetting the weight. Every morning when I rise, I am kind of obsessed with weighing myself. I realize this is not a good thing, but after many years of inactivity due to an accident, I am very excited about getting my health back on track. I had ballooned up to around 350 pounds and, make a long story short, just under 17 months, while taken baby steps, I am down to 237 pounds. Funny thing is, I am learning to look in the mirror more, weighing myself less. Cut to the chase, I stand at six feet 1 inch, whenever I look at my BMI measurement I do get very discouraged. I am far from sloppy – why I am tossing out the scale and tearing up the BMI chart…lol.

Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

2. james fleeting james fleeting says:

Hey Joey, ive emailed u several times and appreciate all ur help. I have a very high metabolism and i am obsessed with my weight, prior to working out i was extremely skinny looking. now i take a weight gainer from LA muscle (recommended by urself) my weight is up to 164 pounds,which i consider still too light, i am over 6ft tall tho, however my bodyfat is at 17%, i appear to look very skinny and i was amazed it was so high, any help? Thanks as always joey

3. Joey Vaillancourt Joey Vaillancourt says:

@Doug – Doug, that is a really great achievement! Congrats on the weight loss. Sounds like your well on track and know how to properly judge things now..good for you man. and thanks for the comment.

4. Joey Vaillancourt Joey Vaillancourt says:

@james fleeting – James, thanks for the appreciation. Yeah, you might still need to gain more..keep at it and stay focused. right now your in ‘no man’s land’ where your above a certain bodyfat percentage that you will appear slightly flat..but keep going and put on another solid 10-20lbs, then cut back on the fat and your gonna look great!

just be patient, it takes time as I am sure you know :)

5. Doug Doug says:

Joey, you are quite welcome! Thanks for your very sincere congrat’s! while your commitment to helping us to get a better body is greatly appreciated!

6. Yow, thanks for the good read. I want to ask one thing though–How can I measure the exact % of body fat and muscle that I have? What devices and things like that?

7. Reece Reece says:

@perfit hollywood florida

to find out your body fat u can pay for a body analysis or purchase a skin caliper which is alot cheaper and easy to use as they have instruction inside.

once you have your body fat % the calculation you need to use is your total body weight x (times by) your body fat %.

the following example is someone who weighs 178 lbs and has 13% bf : 178 x .13 = 23.14 lbs of fat.

now we are going to – (subtract) that 23.14 lbs of fat from the total body weight (178lb) which will give us 154.86lb this is lean mass.

I hope this helps.

8. quantité de mémoire embarquée, finesse de gravure, Afin dêtre tout à fait anonyme sur Internet, lidéal est davoir une autre adresse IP que celle attribuée par votre fournisseur daccès.Alors Microsoft a cherché à concevoir sa propre application riche de YouTube pour les détenteurs de terminaux sous Windows Phone.Problèmes : lapplication YouTube by Microsoft bloquait l’affichage de la publicité (la principale ressource financière de Google) et permettait de télécharger les vidéos,le et passionnant, Vous pouvez aussi essayer le mode puzzle,10 sur iTespressoEmsisoft Anti-Malware est un scanner et destructeur de Trojans performant.Cest Jean-Bernard Lévy, qui prend le relais. 2000, XP, automatiser la gestiondes ressources des centres de données, Nous verrons également comment un produit DCIM peut fournir aux responsables des centres de données les informations et les outils dont ils ont besoin pour simplifier et rationaliser les opérations, les fonds de capital-risque Andreessen Horowitz et Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, de la recherche,dollars pour conserver le privilège dêtre le moteur de recherche par défaut de liPhone et liPad. qui estime le tarif 2012 sélevait à 3.

9. July 21 and 22: COMED-K first round of seat-selection
    [url=http://www.lululemonoutlet-canada.tk/]Lululemon Outlet Canada[/url]
    Lululemon Outlet Canada

10. Key links to products and services: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, business travel, and corporate card
    Air Max 2012 Pas Cher

11. Take a look below at the price ratio of the Global X China Financials ETF /quotes/zigman/1534150/quotes/nls/chix -1.92% ?relative to the iShares FTSE China 25 Index Fund ETF /quotes/zigman/357940/quotes/nls/fxi -1.15% . As a reminder, a rising price ratio means the numerator/CHIX is outperforming (up more/down less) the denominator/FXI. For a larger chart, .
    Jordan Pas Cher

12. The Kindle Fire HDX 7-inch 16 GB model starts at $229 (with Offers), and is available for pre-order now, but won’t ship until Oct. 18. The 4 GB version is listed at $329, and ships on Nov. 14.
    Louboutin Escarpin-Sandale Pas Cher

13. The event includes seven discussion panels, live music, breakout sessions, a light breakfast, juice bar, cocktail hour, networking opportunities, and more.
    air jordan pas cher

14. The project’s inaugural event will be an all-day conference on Dec. 2 at the titled, “Love Wins — A Conference Promoting Love, Community and Connection for Every Child and Family.” The keynote speaker will be , a senior fellow for in Houston, Texas, who will speak about the power of love and empathy in the healing process.
    Chaussures Christian Louboutin

15. “Accelerating ad volume growth of 26% year-over-year implies that rather than struggling with a mobile transition, Google is benefiting from increased screen fragmentation,” Scott Devitt of Morgan Stanley wrote in a note to clients. He boosted his price target on the stock to $1,075 from $996.
    Nike Air Max 2009 Pas Cher

16. “This raises suspicions of accommodation being offered to exiting specs, an event frequently seen in the Bad Old Days.” (This refers to the decade before the current rise in gold began in 2001, which radical gold bugs believe was heavily manipulated to the benefit of insiders.)
    Nike Air Max BW Pas Cher

17. Michael Kors Michael Kors says:

“The results of this study show that there have been substantial declines in childrens ability to perform anaerobic exercise.
    Michael Kors

18. I’ll give you another example, plucked more or less at random from below a report in today’s :
    Louboutin Soldes

19. WALLACE:You write that “politics is the indispensable foundation for things elegant and beautiful.”
    Air Max 1 Hyperfuse Homme

20. KRAUTHAMMER:Yes. They’re all quite useless in a mechanical sense, and elegant. Anything performed to a high level of beautiful form, whether it’s walking the balance beam, or whether it’s playing shortstop, it shows the best of what humans can do. I find it moving.
    Air Max 87 Homme

21. >> YOU DIDN’T GET THE MESSAGE, DID YOU, BABY? RUN ALONG.
    Bottes UGG Tassel Pas Cher

22. BECKEL:Show me where Bush got, they said that about Bush?
    Air Max TN Pas Cher

23. BECKEL:I didn’t know they were doing this.
    UGG Corinth Pas Cher

24. THE IDEA THAT THEY THINK THAT THEY ARE EVER GOING TO GET AN AGREEMENT ON THE DEFUNDING OBAMA CARE IS ABSURD AND THEY KNOW THAT.
    Air Max 89 Homme

25. Other responsibilities will include -

26. sex chipie sex chipie says:

Je n’ai ɡuère fini de lire cepeոdant je passe ce soir

27. Vous rédigez toujours des postes passionnants